The leading cause of accidental contact with power lines in Oregon is tree trimming or tree removal. For this reason, the HREC line crew will trim trees growing in proximity of overhead power lines. If you see a tree growing into the power lines or are planning to trim or remove trees near power lines, contact HREC for assistance. There is no fee for this service.
Trees and Safety
- Look up! If you see a wire in the area where you want to work, call HREC at (541) 354-1233 first.
- Don’t build a tree house in trees with power lines in them or near them.
- Don’t prune a limb that is near or touching a wire. Tree limbs contain water and can conduct electricity.
- Although the “service” wire (from the transformer to the connection at your house) usually is insulated, never consider it safe to work around. The insulation can be worn, creating a hazard.
- Remember that metal ladders and other tree-trimming equipment are excellent conductors of electricity. Stay clear of wires.