If you plan on doing any digging on your property, make sure you remember to “Call Before You Dig”. It is very important to have all underground utilities located before digging to prevent costly and potentially dangerous contact with buried utility lines. It is not only the smart thing to do, it is also the law.
CALL 48 HOURS BEFORE YOU DIG: Dial 811 or 800-332-2344
Locate requests accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Be prepared to provide the following information:
Your name, phone number, company name (if applicable), and mailing address.
The name and phone number of an alternate contact person, in case the utilities have questions and cannot reach you.
If the work is taking place within 10 feet of any overhead power lines.
- Type of work to be done.
- Person for whom the work is being done.
- Location of worksite, including street address, nearest cross street, city, county, township, range, section, etc.
- The distance and direction of the worksite from the intersection.
- Marking instructions (specific instructions as to where the work is taking place).
- These questions are asked so that the customer service representative can determine which utility companies should be notified and which should not. This process makes sure that all the utilities at your worksite are located, and the underground facility owners who do not have lines in your general area are not needlessly notified.
Calling before you dig ensures that any publicly owned underground facilities will be marked according to the APWA color code so that you can dig safely.