Happy New Year!
I hope you enjoyed the holiday season and are looking forward to the start of a great 2019.
This is a busy time of year for Hood River Electric Cooperative. In the coming weeks, staff will work with an independent auditor to close out our records for 2018 and prepare the financial and operating data that will be presented at our annual meeting in March.
At its January 2018 meeting, your board of directors will select a date for our annual meeting and appoint a nominating committee. The nominating committee prepares a list of nominations for director positions, which are three-year terms. If you are interested in serving on the nominating committee, please contact one of the directors.
Save Money and Energy in 2019
If your New Year’s resolution is to save money, here are some free and low-cost ways to cut energy waste and lower your electric bill:
- Keep your doors and windows closed to keep the heat in. This includes interior doors to garages and unheated basements.
- Open curtains and blinds during the day on windows getting sun. Close all curtains at night to keep the heat inside.
- Set your thermostat a few degrees lower. Each degree you lower saves on heating costs. Set it even lower when you are away or asleep.
- If you have a heat pump, let it run as needed. Use a programmable thermostat to match your daily routine and maximize savings.
- Help your furnace by keeping furniture and window coverings from blocking heating registers. Clean or replace furnace filters monthly.
- If you have zonal heat, only heat the rooms you are using. Close doors to unused rooms.
- If you feel a cold draft, warm air is escaping. Seal or weatherstrip around windows, doors and plumbing penetrations to stop air leaks and keep heat in. Lay draft stoppers on the ground in front of doors.
- Set your water heater thermostat to 120 degrees. Install energy-saving showerheads and faucet aerators to reduce the amount of water you need to heat.
- Turn off or unplug lights, appliances, electronics and chargers that aren’t in use. Don’t pay for what you don’t use!
I wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous year ahead.