Make Holidays Merry, Bright and Safe

Dear Members,

It is time to decorate for the holidays. To play it safe, the National Electrical Safety Foundation and the Consumer Product Safety Commission urge you to keep these tips in mind:

  • As you unpack your electric decorations, carefully inspect them for cracked sockets, frayed wires and loose connections that could cause a shock or fire.
  • If you buy new lights or other electric decorations, make sure they are approved by Underwriters Laboratory and are appropriate for the use you intend: indoors or outdoors.
  • When decorating your home with lights, do not nail or staple through the light cords. You could damage the wire or insulation, which could lead to an electrical shock or fire. Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, the house, walls or other firm support to protect them from wind damage. Wide staples that hold the cord without puncturing it will do the job.
  • Do not overload extension cords or allow them to run through water on the ground. Use extension cords approved for outdoor use when you decorate outside and use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
  • Always turn off lights and decorations before leaving home or going to bed. The co-op board of directors and staff wish you a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

John Gerstenberger, Manager