The business and affairs of Hood River Electric Cooperative are managed by a Board of nine Directors. Directors are elected by the membership at large and serve staggered three-year terms. Each year at the HREC annual meeting, three Directors are elected.
There are three ways that Members may become candidates for Director positions:
- Through nomination by the HREC Nominating Committee.
- By submitting a petition signed by 15 or more HREC members. Petition packets are available at the HREC office.
- Through nomination from the floor at the HREC annual member meeting.
Director Qualifications, per Article IV, Section 3 of the Bylaws
No person shall be eligible to become or remain a Director in the Cooperative who:
(a) is not a Member in good standing and bona fide resident in the area served or to be served by the Cooperative, or
(b) is in any way employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise or a business selling Cooperative Services or supplies to the Cooperative, or a business primarily engaged in selling electrical or plumbing appliances, fixtures or supplies to the Members of the Cooperative.
- The Board of Directors holds monthly meetings at the Hood River Electric Cooperative office. These meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
- The Board of Directors holds an annual meeting of the members. This meeting is generally held on the second Thursday in March, at 7:00 p.m., at the Hood River County Fairgrounds.
- From time to time the Board of Directors may call special meetings.
- Directors have opportunities to attend conferences, trainings, and meetings of the Oregon Rural Electric Cooperative Association, Northwest Public Power Association, and other industry associations.
- HREC Directors receive a stipend of $25 and mileage reimbursement for attendance at the monthly meetings.
- HREC reimburses Directors for travel expenses and registration fees for industry events and provides a $100 daily stipend for attendance.